Oleh : PakarQQ
Pan-Seared Halibut with Marinated Lemons, Castlevetrano Olives and Calabrian Chilies- citrusy, spicy and fun to make. Allow 8 hours of marinating time.
Here’s a tasty recipe for Pan-Seared Halibut topped with olive oil marinated Meyer lemons, buttery Castlevetrano olives, capers and Calabrian chilies. Once the lemons are marinated the dish comes together in 15 minutes.
Marinating the Meyer lemons softens both their texture and flavor, allowing them to be eaten, peel, and all. You could easily do this ahead and refrigerate.
Calabrian Chilies, if unfamiliar, hail from Italy and are typically jarred and packed in olive oil. They are fruity, tangy, spicy and well- we’re smitten with them here and have been putting them on everything from Sourdough pizzas to warm olives, over hummus and avocado toast, and swirled in pasta. Yup, pretty much everything!
Ingredients in Pan-Seared Halibut
How to make Seared Halibut
Step one: Make the Marinated Lemons (allow 8 hours, or make this ahead and refrigerate for up to 3 days).
Slice lemons thinly, remove seeds, and smash the garlic cloves using the side of a chef’s knife, pressing down hard with your palm.
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and add the garlic.
Once fragrant (2 minutes) turn the heat off.
Add the lemons, olives, capers and toss. Add chili flakes. Let sit at room temp for 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
Step two: Cook the Halibut.
Season with salt and pepper.
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the top side first until beautifully golden (3-4 minutes). Turn over, lower heat to medium and continue cooking until sides no longer look translucent, another 2-4 minutes.
Squeeze with lemon juice.
Step three: Assemble.
When ready to serve, gently warm the marinated lemons and spoon them along with the olives and capers over the halibut.
Dot with Calabrian Chilies to taste.
Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
Serve Pan-Seared Halibut With:
Serve the Pan Seared Halibut over Creamy Polenta, Risotto, or with potatoes and your favorite green veggie.
More Halibut Recipes you may like!
Have a beautiful weekend!
A tasty recipe for Pan-Seared Halibut topped with olive oil marinated Meyer lemons, buttery Castlevetrano olives, capers and Calabrian chilies. Once the lemons are marinated, the dish comes together in 15 minutes. Note: requires 8-12 hours of lemon marinating time.
- 2–4 pieces of halibut (4–6 ounces each)
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil for searing
- squeeze lemon juice
- 1/2 – 1 tablespoon Calabrian chilies (sliced or minced), jarred in oil
- Make the Marinated Lemons ( Allow 8 hours, or make a day ahead). Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium-low heat, add smashed garlic cloves, and poach until fragrant and just barely golden, stirring. Turn heat off. Add lemons, olives,capers, and give a good stir, coating the lemons well. Add the salt and chili flakes. Let marinate on the counter for 8 hours, stirring occasionally or refrigerate for up to 3 days, and reheat gently.
- Season each piece of halibut with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet (cast iron works great here) over medium-high heat.
- Carefully place the halibut in the skillet, top side down- letting it form a golden crust, about 3-4 minutes. Turn over and lower heat to medium; continue cooking another 3 -4 minutes or until halibut is no longer translucent in the center. Timing will depend on the thickness of the filet. (For very thick filets, feel free to pan-sear and cook through in a 350F oven.)
- Squeeze with Lemon juice.
- To serve, divide among plates ( or place on a platter) and spoon the warmed marinated lemons & olives on and around the halibut.
- Dot with Calabrian chilies to taste. Garnish with parsley leaves.
Keywords: halibut recipe, pan-seared halibut, halibut with marinated lemons,